Thursday, November 11, 2010

5th Grade- The Adventure Continues

On Monday, I started a brand new adventure: teaching. Not like substituting, but full time teaching: in my own classroom, for the rest of the year. A few weeks ago I was asked to consider taking over the 5th grade class. They had a wonderful teacher, but his passion is high school social studies, not 5th grade with only girls. So on Monday, after a week or so of observing and lesson writing, I took over completely and began teaching.
It's strange, because I did not feel like teaching after I got my degree. In fact, even when I moved here 2 months ago, it was not my intention. Not that I would never teach, but for now, it was not where God was leading me. Well, two month later, and guess where He led me? Straight into a classroom.
So far, it's gone pretty good. I have three girls in my class, and no boys. All three girls are in the dorm too, so I know them already. They are a handful, but lots of fun too. Of course, it does depend on the moment. Some moments they love me, and others they hate me. (Nothing new there.) I am still also a dorm parent, but more of an assistant. I help out in the evenings some, and when I am available otherwise, but lesson planning and figuring out what I'm doing takes quite a bit of time.
God is faithful. He leads you to strange places, but he never leaves you there. I once heard that "the will of God will never take you where the grace of God cannot keep you." It's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment