Saturday, December 4, 2010

ODAA and Christmas

About a year ago, I was serving as an intern in camping ministry. Trying to write a job description is fairly difficult for such a job, as it can and did include just about anything. Besides there is this addition at the end of such a job description that says, "other duties as assigned". There is a very similar clause at the end of my contract here at Sun Valley as well. It seems to be common in ministries. I think it's actually part of our job descriptions as Christians as well. We're called to love others, and all of that, but I feel there is this extra part at the end, which reads "whatever God calls you to do."

It's so easy to want to yell, "but that's not my job", whether at God or an employer. "I didn't sign up for this!" But as a Christian, as a servant of Christ, we are called to do what he want us to do. It's funny, I never set out to go into missions. Oh, I wasn't against it, but I never really felt like that was the purpose of my life. Strangely though, both jobs God has called me to since college have been in ministry and missions. God has put passions in my heart that have led me into ministry. I love it, but it's hard. Regardless of where I work or what I do though, God will always have that clause at the end of my job description. Ministry is not confined to specific jobs or organizations. It's a part of our life as Christians. Maybe it's teaching Sunday school, maybe volunteering at  homeless shelter. Maybe it's as simple as helping someone pick up something they dropped. I think ministry is not what we do, but how we live our lives.


This last week, we began to study Ruth, which is a book I love. The curriculum suggested we sign "It is well" and since it is one of my favorite songs, we did just that. One of the challenges in my life is to learn to be able to say that. Yesterday was a tough day. It was long day, and it was more than slightly stressful and frustrating. Yet, what do I truly have to complain about? Sure, the fact that I work with kids who can be incredibly disrespectful and defiant is not my favorite. And yes, it's been a long day, and I often end up exhausted every night (and all too often mornings as well). But what I am here for anyway? What is my perspective?

As Christmas time is almost here (yay!), I came across these lyrics again the other day. The song is familiar, but it's story add more meaning. It was written during the Civil War by Henry W. Longfellow. The despair in the third stanza is all too familiar, but the hope in the fourth we sometimes forget. God is not dead, and He does still give peace. In the end, God will win, right will prevail, and there will be peace on earth, even if it does not come till the end of the world.

I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along th' unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head:
'There is no peace on earth, ' I said
'For hate is strong, and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.'

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
'God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men.'

Till, ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

1 comment:

  1. love it, bethany.
    thanks for the reminder.
    -tori

    ReplyDelete